Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
UGENE Bulletin Board
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Building a Frequency Matrix (Read 3855 times)
Apr 22nd, 2011 at 7:07pm

sts   Offline
YaBB Newbies

I am trying to build a frequency matrix using the "Build Weight Matrix" Tool, however I am getting this error:
[ERROR][13:49] Task {Build weight matrix} finished with error: Alignment has gaps.

Why is this? I am aware that the MSA I am providing as an input file contains gaps, and this should not be a problem when it comes to creating a weight matrix, or is it problematic? If yes, then what do you recommend?

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 9:06pm

Mikhail Fursov   Offline
YaBB Administrator

Frequency matrix is used to store frequencies information for a given base at the given position in some sequence.  There are no 'gaps' in real DNA,  'gaps' are artificial elements used to show correlation of 2+ sequences. Actually adding 'gaps' into sequence you add new information and it is based on the algorithm used to insert them.

Here are the hints for you

1) To remove gaps from an alignment open it with UGENE and use "Edit->Remove Gaps" context menu in alignment editor. Save.

2) If you want to rely on gaps in you alignment - select different algorithm, but not FWM nor PWM. For example HMMMER2/HMMER3 profiles are designed to consider gaps in alignment as important information. Note that in this case the result does really depend on alignment algorithm used.

3) If all you need is to view base frequency statistics for your alignment, open it in Alignment editor and use "Statistics -> Generate grid profile"

---
UGENE team
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1