Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
UGENE Bulletin Board
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Tool for introducing point mutations with PCR (Read 22274 times)
Jan 6th, 2011 at 11:36pm

silkmoon   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Hi!

I have problem with finding any program dedicated to constructing primers for PCR in purpose of introducing point mutations (primer is mismatched to template in particular position). The tricky thing is calculating Tm (there are many algorithms for it). The only program that can help me to fulfill the task is MELTING (GPL licence) but that program only calculates Tm and isn't created for constructing primers to PCR. It would be nice, if Yours UGENE would be able to help conducting that kind of PCR.

More over it would be easier to conducting in silico PCR in UGENE, if the procedure was similar to that used in PerlPrimer (the GUI is much clearer).

I would like to thank you for such a great program  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2011 at 1:11am

Konstantin Okonechnikov   Offline
Global Moderator

Hello!

Thanks for your interest in UGENE project!

Actually we're planning to improve PCR analysis capabilities in the next release: add feature to create DNA fragments for cloning "in silico" using PCR, improve visualization for primers and etc. We will consider PerlPrimer as a good example. Point mutations sounds like an interesting new feature, however some clarification is required.

Do you want to be able to locate (construct) all possible "template-matching" primers along with those that may include mismatches OR do you want to be able to modify already located primers and recalculate tm for them?

Concerning the MELTING tool: googled for it but didn't find Sad
Could you please give a direct link?

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2011 at 3:31am

silkmoon   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Konstantin Okonechnikov wrote on Jan 7th, 2011 at 1:11am:
Do you want to be able to locate (construct) all possible "template-matching" primers along with those that may include mismatches

Do you mean degenarative PCR (or whatever it is known Wink )? No. I think there are some tools for it (but I don't know much about that method, so I can't tell for sure).

do you want to be able to modify already located primers and recalculate tm for them?

Yes - exactly, because user must choose on his/her own where position the mismatch (it affects subsequent mutation), so the sequence of the 'preliminary' primer must be known. It'd be great if program could generate sequence of the PCR product with highlighted/annotated mutation.

Concerning the MELTING tool: googled for it but didn't find Sad
Could you please give a direct link?

http://www.ebi.ac.uk/compneur-srv/melting/

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2011 at 3:42am

silkmoon   Offline
YaBB Newbies

There is one more thing: is it possible to print in UGENE messages from Primer3 ('output', error messages)? Because when primers can't be generated in UGENE, I cannot deduct why (in my case just simply nothing happens and in Log there's no information why Primer3 failed searching for primers).

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2011 at 7:55pm

Global Moderator

Thanks for clarifications Smiley

Unfortunately no diagnostics information is available for Primer3 task currently. Most likely the primers are not found due to some restrictions. For example, melting temperature is higher then maximum allowed tm.

Detailed reports and improved logging have the highest priority in the next development cycle. These features are planned to be finished by the end of next week and will be available via development snapshot. I'll keep this thread updated.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2011 at 8:45pm

silkmoon   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Konstantin Okonechnikov wrote on Jan 7th, 2011 at 7:55pm:
Detailed reports and improved logging have the highest priority in the next development cycle.

It'll be very useful, thank you.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 1:38pm

Global Moderator

Silkmoon,
did you check the task report info for Primer search task?

It is availble right after the task is finished - click a popup message in the bottom right part of the screen,  (See screenshot 1)

You can browse the existing notification messages anytime by double clicking "Memo" pic (Screenshot 2)

From the report you can infer why the primers weren't detected. For example as you can see on screenshot 3 the statistics shows that the tm value is too high for right primer.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 4:13pm

silkmoon   Offline
YaBB Newbies

I have installed the latest snapshot for Linux and in fact it's working as You described. Exactly what I wanted Wink Thanks!

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 5:35am

Peacemaker   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Hello,
to return to the original question, PrimerX (http://www.bioinformatics.org/primerx/) is a very good online tool for generating Primers for point mutations. It would be great if this could be implemented into ugene, but I' m not sure about the licence situation of primerX.
Best Regards

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 8:02am

jot2014   Offline
YaBB Newbies

I second these requests

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1