UGENE Bulletin Board
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
A "cloning" plugin (Read 36715 times)
Aug 24th, 2009 at 2:16pm

Jens   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Hi guys I have just checked out Ugene and it seems quite impressive (although I am on an old version because it was the only one I could find in the opensuse repositories).

I think a nice feature would be some sort of meta-plugin (annotation+RE site finder) and a circular DNA viewer for familiar looking cloning (sequence selection by RE, ligation). Perhaps even a point-and-click cloning interface, which basically acts as a GUI front end for editing genbank files.

Basically what I am suggesting is a plug-in that could act as a replacement for vector NTI and similar programs Smiley.
I am not sure if it would be possible to pull code from GENtle for this...

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2009 at 12:42pm

Ivan Efremov   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Novosibirsk

Hi Jens
Circular DNA viewer + cloning functionality have always been in our plans. We will consider inluding it in UGENE 1.7 (release is scheduled to the end of 2009).

BTW, you can try download and install fedora RPM - there must be no problems using it.
Thanks for your interest in UGENE!

UGENE team
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 4:57pm

Jens   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Hi

Thanks for that answer Smiley I will be very happy when that functionality is added Smiley.

Installing the fedora RPM (11_64) on OpenSuse (11.2/Factory_64) was a bad idea unfortunately.

The 1.3.3 version available via the opensuse repositories ran but the 1.5 version via Fedora RPM crashes with a segmentation error output (row 4 of /usr/lib64/ugene/ugene $*) every time...

I will try a bit more and if I figure out what is wrong, I will report back about it Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 5:43pm

Ivan Efremov   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Novosibirsk

Well, I can suggest you the following:
1) before installing 1.5 rpm, the old one must be completely removed.
2) ensure that you have a proper Qt version: 4.5.1 or later.

I think we will try to provide Suse support for the upcoming release. Smiley

UGENE team
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 12:12pm

Jens   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Thanks for the tips. After downgrading to the previous package and then removing it, I could install the Fedora package on OpenSuse. So in fact you are already supporting it Smiley

Thanks for a great program. I will try to invest some time in learning it and recommending it to others - and I look forward to version 1.7 and its cloning plugin (my institute is currently addicted to VectorNTI which is insanely expensive).

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 5:44pm

Ivan Efremov   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Novosibirsk

You are welcome Smiley

UGENE team
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2010 at 6:46pm

Jens   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Hi sorry to bother again

I tried installing the 1.6 in 3 different ways on my 64-bit opensuse 11.2

First, the fedora RPM complains about not having qt>4.5, which is false. I have 4.6. Second it complains about not having qt-x11, which also is false. Can this compatibility be solved using symlinks so that the rpm can find the required dependencies?

The second strategy was the install script for suse in the tarball. This also failed on the initial step, where it checks:
if ! uname -a | grep -i "opensuse" >/dev/null 2>&1;

(no string "opensuse" after uname only kernel version etc)

The third strategy was compiling it using
qmake CONFIG+=x64 -r

This worked a bit better (after long compilation with  some warnings)
starting ugene does however not work because it can not find proper translation for my system (which I do not have any interest in). Is there a way to disable the translation check and/or set to default English?

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 16th, 2010 at 3:43pm

Ivan Efremov   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Novosibirsk

Hi Jens,
thanks for the report. We will fix the issue with broken qt dependencies and check if translations on SuSE are generated properly.

For now, I can suggest you a quick-and-dirty solution:

1) Translations are binary files called transl_en.qm and transl_ru.qm which must be generated during the UGENE build. UGENE cannot start if no translation files are located nearby its binary.

So, the solution is:
- try to generate translations by hand. Just run qmake in the root dir of the source package and check directory src/_release. Translation files should be generated here.
- copy translation files (e.g. transl_en.qm) to the directory where ugene binary is placed (e. g. /usr/lib/ugene)

In case of problems please provide the following info:
- logs of qmake
- way you use to start ugene

UGENE team
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 7:09pm

Jens   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Copying the translation file to /usr/lib/ugene worked nicely! Thanks!

The way I start it is by executing the "ugene" start script file generated during make (the one exporting a path to /usr/lib/ugene and then starts ugene).

I am not very used to compile my own programs but it seems to have worked Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 8:09pm

Ivan Efremov   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Novosibirsk

You are welcome!

UGENE team
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 8:24pm

matt   Offline
YaBB Newbies

thanks for this feature.
will test it as soon i got the 1.6.2 ubuntu package running.

i just started playing around with serial cloner, gentle and pdraw - but this may not be needed now. one more programm windows isn´t needed for.  Grin

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jun 8th, 2010 at 10:18pm

Sebastian   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Hi,

is the "cloning" plugin already fully integrated? I don't want to sound rude - ugene is a very nice software - may-be I'm just blind  Smiley but i've just found RE-analysis. I'm also looking for features like pcr- (with clonig-primer-design), restriction-, ligation- and virtual-gel-simulation and so on (features you can find in software like Serial Cloner or GENtle).

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jun 9th, 2010 at 4:13pm

Konstantin Okonechnikov   Offline
Global Moderator

Sebastian,
some of the features like, for example, circular view, are already integrated.
We're planning to continue working on it.

To implement such big task as cloning we need to break it into smaller parts, thus it would be nice of you to provide some "real-life" scenario of "cloning" process with basic steps  Smiley  
This will help us to concentrate our efforts on the most important features.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jun 9th, 2010 at 7:11pm

Sebastian   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Konstantin,

thank you for your reply. I'm new to ugene, so i was just wondering.
To your request:

One typical task/workflow to test a cloning strategy in silico for me:

I have vector A with insert 1 and vector B with a MCS or insert 2 and after cloning i want to have Vector B with insert 1.

1. Find RE-sites in both vectors witch extract the insert 1 and "opens" vector 2.

2. If no compatible RE-sites are present simulate PCR to add RE-sites to insert 1 - a cloning Primer design and analysis tool would be great. This tool should generate a primer pair at the ends of a selected region and insert features like RE-sites via additional miss matching regions. Check for hairpin, primer dimers, melting temperature etc.

3. virtually cut vectors/pcr product - would be nice if you could just select an RE combination for example in circular view or linear view in case of PCR product an directly extract the selected sequences into a new ones (with overhangs after cut).

4. virtually ligate the two linear DNA-sequences (optional: should be possible to add a 3rd DNA sequence) - this feature should check if DNA ends are compatible (overhangs) and provide an option for "blunting" of potential sticky ends and generate a new sequence after ligation.

All steps should conserve annotations from template vectors/inserts and in case of "disruption" of an annotated sequence by RE cut the user should be warned.

The main reasons why i use such features:

1. Find a suitable cloning strategy
2. Control if I really get the desired vector and insert combination (no frame shifts etc.)
3. Always have an up-to-date sequence and map of my vectors (I usually check the insert-region by sequencing afterwards and align the theoretical sequence against the detected)

May-be it helps if you take a look at GENtle. It's a software released under GPL that provides most of the features.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 4:00am

JohnR   Offline
YaBB Newbies

In addition to those features that Sebastian suggested in the earlier message, I often do cloning projects in vectors designed to make fusion proteins. For example the vector pGEX4T-1 makes glutathione-S-transferase (GST). The ORF search in UGene allows you to check and see what kind of fusion protein is made after cloning into GST, but the steps to do the conceptual translation and to check the identity of the different parts of the fusion protein could be smoother. In particular, when planning an experiment like this, you need to be sure that the gene segment inserted is in frame with the protein in the vector so the proper fusion protein is synthesized.

Although there is not a cloning plugin as such, I was able to do part of what was requested by using the "remove subsequence" and "add subsequence" options under "Edit Sequence". Thanks again with the help on this, by the way.

JohnR

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2