Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
UGENE Bulletin Board
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Ugene new user wants to know why use MUSCLE for alignment? (Read 10851 times)
Oct 6th, 2010 at 10:09am

sharontan   Offline
YaBB Newbies

I am a new user and would like to know why USE MUSCLE for alignment and Kalign for larger alignments instead of Bowtie (for example)?
Thank you Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 5:21pm

Konstantin Okonechnikov   Offline
Global Moderator

Hello sharontan,
thank you for interest in our project!

The answer depends on what task you are solving.

The MUSCLE and Kalign are the tools intended for Multiple Sequence Alignment.  Multiple sequence alignment finds the "optimal" alignment between all of the provided sequences. In case of multiple sequence alignment KAlign works faster with large sequences then Muscle or Clustal.

The Bowtie (and also Ugene genome aligner) solves another task: it aligns all provided sequences to single reference sequence (such as genome for example) one by one. This process is known as sequence assembly. A pairwise alignment is performed between reference and each short read. Unlike multiple sequence alignment in sequence assembly all short reads are aligned independently from each other.

« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2010 at 9:04pm by Konstantin Okonechnikov »  
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 1:58am

sharontan   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Thank you so much for the quick reply.

I think Gmap has been widely used for alignment but mostly for EST and cDNA. Is that similar to Bowtie? Can the similar function be performed with Ugene?

I am an end user for bioinformatic tools and I don't know much about different tools (Bowtie, Gmap) that does the same job such as sequence alignment to a reference genome and which is better.

I just discovered Ugene a few days back and I really have to complement on the friendly user interface, tutorials, quick response to the forum as an end user.

Where can I read up more on how Ugene came about other than the forum section and podcast and why is it better than any other bioinformatic tools?

Thank you so much again.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 4:48pm

Konstantin Okonechnikov   Offline
Global Moderator

The primary goal of Unipro UGENE project is the integration of most popular computational biology analysis methods within single user-friendly visual interface. UGENE is a free software. Full feature list can be found at the UGENE web-page. There is also a presentation available on the web, feel free to check it out.  

Concerning Gmap: you are quite right, it is applied for EST (cDNA) and mRNA sequence alignment, while Bowtie is a "general DNA" short read aligner. Also Gmap performs genome mapping. However, I suppose Bowtie can be used for your alignment task. It is a memory-efficient and very fast short-read aligner. You can read more about Bowtie here.

To use Bowtie from UGENE, activate Tools->DNA assembly dialog from main menu. Select Bowtie as assembly method, then set path to your reference genome and your cDNA shortreads. Additionaly you can use a prebuilt-index for genome (there is an optional check box). The pre-built indecies are available from official Bowtie ftp.
Don't forget to read UGENE manual pages devoted to Bowtie.

Btw UGENE user manual is available as a printable PDF file. It's the best source of information about UGENE.

« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2010 at 11:08am by Konstantin Okonechnikov »  
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2010 at 12:38am

sharontan   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Thank you very much for the reply.

I am trying to convince friends to try to use Ugene but some of them argued for T-coffee and Kalign2 that works much better than Kalign found on Ugene.

What would be your argument on that?

thanks again!

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2010 at 3:39pm

Agu   Offline
(Argentinian)

In my opinion it should be the other way. Ask them to give you a very good argument, and then come back to try to convince the Ugene authors to implement a plugin with those functions. They have enough work developing the software to be also explaining things you can find in the manual or defending algorithms.
Moreover, in the T-Coffee Home page the say: "You can use T-Coffee to align sequences or to combine the output of your favorite alignment methods (Clustal, Mafft, Probcons, Muscle...)".
You can use both, Clustal2 and Muscle from Ugene, so I don't see a big advantage. And please, read the steps I have to follow to use that in windows. If I had to do that for every function I use from Ugene...
Concerning the Kalign, probably its easy to implement the newer version for the algorithm. BTW, its interesting that they use features to improve the alignment.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 11:06pm

Mikhail Fursov   Offline
YaBB Administrator

sharontan wrote on Oct 9th, 2010 at 12:38am:
Thank you very much for the reply.

I am trying to convince friends to try to use Ugene but some of them argued for T-coffee and Kalign2 that works much better than Kalign found on Ugene.

What would be your argument on that?

thanks again!

UGENE already integrates KAlign2 algorithm. The Kalign we have is actually Kalign2.

TCoffee: we are going to support this package as external tool. It means that to use TCoffee in UGENE you will need it installed separately from UGENE and tell UGENE the location of TCoffee executable file.

Even "external tool"-level support means a lot. It means that you will automatically have Workflow Designer - level support for that tool and be able creating complex workflows using the algorithm. At least batch processing...

---
UGENE team
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1