Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
UGENE Bulletin Board
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Problem: Sequences have different alphabets (Read 5888 times)
Feb 15th, 2010 at 10:41pm

pablo   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Hi,

thank you for this great editor.

I wish to align app. 30000 sequences using muscle 4.0 algorithm integrated into the ugene editor. I got the error message "Sequences have different alphabets" after clicking on export to Clustal.

Do you have any advice for me?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2010 at 8:27pm

Mikhail Fursov   Offline
YaBB Administrator

Hi Pablo,

This error means that your alignment contains sequences of different alphabets, for example both nucleic and amino, or contains some symbols UGENE doesn't know how to process (we call this 'raw' alphabet) In this case its impossible to make an alignment since you can't assign scores to match operation. UGENE reports error when you try to create such files.

However I think that there is a good chance here for improvement from our side. Could you attach the alignment so we can analyze the error in details?

BTW, I would not suggest using Muscle 4 today as mainstream version of the alignment algorithm. Muscle 3 is significantly faster and more stable. Muscle 4 is just an preview release.

BTW2, Note that starting from version 1.6.1 UGENE contains  KAlign algorithm. We recommend using it for a huge number of sequences (~100k) when Muscle becomes too slow to do the job

---
UGENE team
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1