Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
UGENE Bulletin Board
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Ugene doesnt run on fedora (Read 15833 times)
Feb 19th, 2010 at 11:52pm

bharath   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Dear friends

I have downloaded the fedora x86 rpm  and installed, installation was fine but when i try to run it i get the following error, i do not know how to solve the issue,I tried on different machines but error remains same, kindly help

[kala@localhost pymol]$ ugene
/usr/lib/ugene/ugene: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/ugene/libcore.so.1: undefined symbol: _ZN9QListData7detach3Ev

ugene: v1.6
fedora v 12

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 4:57am

Mikhail Fursov   Offline
YaBB Administrator

I know what this problem means but I wonder the reason you have it.
Let's try to find the reason and solve the issue.

The problem is that ugene executable is run in incorrect environment and can't locate its core library: libcore.so

The runner with correct environment for Fedora is located in /usr/bin/ugene. This is a shell script, here its body:

#!/bin/bash
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/lib/ugene
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/lib/ugene/ugene $*

as you can see it adds /usr/lib/ugene folder to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable and runs real UGENE program: /usr/lib/ugene/ugene.

Now please check:

1) That you have this file (/usr/bin/ugene) and that its content is the same.

2) That you run /usr/bin/ugene but not /usr/lib/ugene/ugene directly.

Once we have these details we can privide you with more help.

BTW: we do recommend to switch to v1.6.1 from 1.6.0. It contains several important bug fixes and usability improvements.

---
UGENE team
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2010 at 9:01pm

bharath   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Dear admin

Thank you for replying for you information  I am using V1.6.1 x86 rpm, the v 1.5.1 rpm from fedora repo works like a charm, here is the output you have requested

I ran the shell script which you gave me

o/p: #sh script.sh
/usr/lib/ugene/ugene: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/ugene/libcore.so.1: undefined symbol: _ZN9QListData7detach3Ev

also the other outputs

#/usr/bin/ugene

#/usr/lib/ugene/ugene

Also
[kala@localhost Desktop]$ which ugene
/usr/bin/ugene

I request you to check out the x86 rpm that you have posted for fedora, i dont have a 64 bit version to test

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 4:45pm

Mikhail Fursov   Offline
YaBB Administrator

Ok this time it looks to me like a problem with QT4 version: the version of QT4 UGENE was build is not binary compatible with the one you use.

Maybe you have older version of QT4 and get UGENE that was build with the newer one. 

What version of QT do you have? I think you can find it as a part of package info.

BTW we plan to add distribution independent packages soon with QT4 included to the package. Hope it will help to solve problems when you use newer version of UGENE with older Linux distribution.

---
UGENE team
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 1:51pm

bharath   Offline
YaBB Newbies

I use a qt version 4.5.3, I am using the updated version of it (fedora 12)

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 6:57pm

Konstantin Okonechnikov   Offline
Global Moderator

bharath,
we found out what is going on. Fedora build system changed to newer qt version  - 4.6.2 for building all packages, while for Fedora 12 qt 4.5.3 is used in stable branch. We will solve this issue.

To run UGENE you need to install qt-x11-4.6.2 from fedora-development repository.

The easiest way to do it is to execute the following command:
yum --enablerepo=rawhide install qt-x11

Let us know if you have any problems.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 9:15am

bharath   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Dear  Konstantin

the rawhide qt did the job, but i request you to remodify your build until FC13 is officially being released

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 4:27pm

Konstantin Okonechnikov   Offline
Global Moderator

The qt 4.6.2 has today become stable for Fedora 11 and 12, so there shouldn't be anymore problems Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1