Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
UGENE Bulletin Board
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
How can I use PSIPRED on UGENE without network? (Read 21731 times)
Jan 24th, 2013 at 7:07am

karin   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Hi, All.
I want to use psipred without network, i.e. stand-alone. It will be enable to use stand-alone with building local database by the original psipred manual.  Embarrassed

Can I set the path to database on UGENE? or Must I rebuild UGENE?

environment: ugene 1.11.4 on Windows7 home premium  SP1(64bit), memory 8GB.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2013 at 4:36pm

Konstantin Okonechnikov   Offline
Global Moderator

Hi Karin,

Quote:
I want to use psipred without network, i.e. stand-alone. It will be enable to use stand-alone with building local database by the original psipred manual.

I am not sure what you mean by this. What is it exactly you would like to achieve? Is it weights database for neural network or is it a BlastP sequences database you wish to change? 

Psipred is currently integrated into UGENE only on level of a single sequence, which means it predicts secondary structure without performing first BlastP alignment.  We plan to add BLASTP alignment support for future versions.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2013 at 7:45pm

karin   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Hi, Konstantin.
Thank you for reply.

My words were not enough, sorry.

Konstantin Okonechnikov wrote on Jan 25th, 2013 at 4:36pm:
Psipred is currently integrated into UGENE only on level of a single sequence, which means it predicts secondary structure without performing first BlastP alignment.  We plan to add BLASTP alignment support for future versions.

Original PSIPRED requires PSI-BLAST, some NCBI-tools and building local database if I used it without InterNet.

And I thought UGENE searched database through InterNet to predict 2nd structure with PSIPRED.

From your reply, it seems I can use PSIPRED if I have already fetched sequence data even when my machine is not connected to InterNet (my machine is stand-alone). Is it right?

Because my environment is not stable, and network connection is often down. And I wanted to predict 2nd structures without relying on the network system.

thank you.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2013 at 4:12pm

Konstantin Okonechnikov   Offline
Global Moderator

Yes Karin, you're right, one can use the psipred in UGENE without having access to internet, although its prediction performance in general is lower without applying first the PSIBLAST search.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1