Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
UGENE Bulletin Board
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Plasmid maps and qualifiers (Read 8471 times)
Jun 1st, 2012 at 7:37pm

dustman   Offline
YaBB Newbies

I have a mix of GenBank and FASTA files depicting plasmids, primers, etc. So far I got couple of problems I can't figure out how to solve Sad

1. In graphical plasmid view all qualifiers are shown under their generic names, i.e. 'promoter', 'rep_origin' and so on. It would be nice if labels were used for markings instead, i.e. 'CMV promoter' or 'pUC origin', or it could be done using couple of mouse clicks.

2. Automated annotation of FASTA files when asked for, like it done in PlasMapper... or at least possibility to create a local database based on annotated sequences...

Help would be really appreciated Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2012 at 8:53pm

Agu   Offline
(Argentinian)

Hi, dustman.

1. You have to indicate the name of the qualifier that you want to be displayed using the highlighting panel on the right. Check this:
http://genome.unipro.ru/documentation/manual/sequence_view/annotations_manipulat...

2. I don't get it. Can you be more specific? FASTA files contain only sequence, so is not possible by definition. You could save a copy as genbank and then annotate them. Also, you can make a workflow that reads the fasta file, searches for all the features you want and then save them as genbank files.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 4:19am

dustman   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Thanks Agu, no.1 worked fine.

As for FASTA.. Many elements in plasmids are quite common, like CMV or SV40 promoters, pUC origin, Amp(R) or Kan(R)/Neo(R) and so on. If database of such elements exists and is checked against for a FASTA sequence, manual annotation of certain elements can be avoided. Most likely CDSs and Kozak/SD sequence must be checked manually, but initial automation would be appreciated. Don't know if it makes more sense now.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 2:23am

Konstantin Okonechnikov   Offline
Global Moderator

Quote:
As for FASTA.. Many elements in plasmids are quite common, like CMV or SV40 promoters, pUC origin, Amp(R) or Kan(R)/Neo(R) and so on. If database of such elements exists and is checked against for a FASTA sequence, manual annotation of certain elements can be avoided. Most likely CDSs and Kozak/SD sequence must be checked manually, but initial automation would be appreciated. Don't know if it makes more sense now.

We have the automatic annotation feature similar to PlasmidMapper planned for 1.12:
https://ugene.unipro.ru/tracker/browse/UGENE-125

When this feature is implemented, it will be possible to provide predefined annotations bases, for example common plasmid features etc.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1