Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
UGENE Bulletin Board
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Rearrange and group objects in Project panel (Read 6344 times)
Feb 21st, 2016 at 8:19pm

Malvolio   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Hello!

Thank you very much for developing UGENE, it is an excellent tool for my molecular biology work and I really enjoy using it!

I have a minor feature suggestion regarding the Projects pane (the one on the left). Right now the objects in the project pane are arranged in chronological order, i.e. the ones opened first are on the top, the ones loaded last are in the bottom. Sometimes it may be very difficult to navigate, so I was wondering if it is possible to implement a mechanism of rearranging/sorting the objects?

Additionally, it may be nice to be able to group the objects into collapsible "folders". For example:

> Folder 1 backbones
    > plasmid 1
    > plasmid 2
> Folder 2 inserts
    > insert 1
    > PCR product 1

I tinkered a little with *.uprj files, which look like an XML, and I could easily rearrange the objects by moving respective XML fields around using a text editor.

Thank you in advance!

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 7:08pm

Olga Golosova   Offline
YaBB Administrator

Hello!

Thank you for you comments about UGENE! And sorry for the delay in reply.

We plan to improve the Project View in future (see UGENE-3327). This feature is quite timeconsuming and has lower priority than some other tasks (e.g. a handy framework for aligning of Sanger reads), so the feature will be implemented not in the nearest future.

Meanwhile, let me share with you a couple of hints on how to simplify data management in UGENE:
1) You can use the search field in the Project View to filter the objects (see the image).
2) You can create different projects for different working contexts. For example, different cloning projects can be stored as different projects in UGENE. And, therefore, you can open/close the required project when you need to analyze the certain data.
3) Also, you may like to use UGENE shared storage. It allows storing data in the folders hierarchy. To try it out with our read-only shared storage, you may connect to the UGENE Public Storage.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 1:12am

Malvolio   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Thank you for the tips and sorry for a late reply - I think I somehow missed the forum reply notification.

I'm already using the search in project view and the database feature may be something that our lab has long been looking for. And I also look forward to checking out the improvements in Sanger results alignment!

Many thanks for your efforts and good luck!

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2016 at 3:56pm

Olga Golosova   Offline
YaBB Administrator

Thanks for your feedback! That's great that you find these UGENE features useful!

As for Sanger, you might like to participate in a poll on how it will be implemented. The poll is available in our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ugene/.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1