Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
UGENE Bulletin Board
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Path to downloaded data not recognized by old project (Read 8262 times)
Oct 1st, 2009 at 9:42pm

Marco   Offline
YaBB Newbies

I have created a Ugene project with version 1.5.1 and the path for downloaded data was set to default ~/UGENE_downloaded. I've compiled the new version 1.5.2 and used the preferences dialogue to set the path to ~/.ugene/UGENE_downloaded.

After opened the old project Ugene still searches in the old path for the downloaded PDB-files.

I'm using 64bit Opensuse 11.1 and compiled a 64bit version as explained in the build.txt file without CUDA support.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2009 at 6:48pm

Ivan Efremov   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Novosibirsk

Hi Marco,
The fact is that UGENE settings do not affect project files. I mean, if you downloaded some PDBs, stored them in ~/UGENE_downloaded and saved the project which contains these files - the only way to change the project is to remove such documents and add them again from another place.

Path do downloaded data stores the path where _new_ documents will be downloaded. Changing it won't affect your existing project and its file structure.

UGENE team
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 9:44pm

Marco   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Hmm... sorry, but I consider this as a bug. This makes it in fact almost impossible to transfer an ugene project from one computer to another and as a user I can never reorganise my directories without losing my Ugene projects.

Why not making a Ugene project first search in the saved directory location and if this fails using the directory from the preferences?

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 7:40pm

Ivan Efremov   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Novosibirsk

Marco, I suppose that the good (and quite common) solution is to store not absolute, but relative paths in project files.
With this approach users will be able to move easily the whole directories with projects. I think that we will schedule this feature to one of our nearest releases (1.6 or 1.6.1).

But I still think that it is not appropriate to search files stored in project in directories specified in the settings. User may have many files named equally, so if the one stored in project was occasionally removed another document, but with the same name will be loaded from 'downloaded' folder. As I think it can be a rather confusing behavior sometimes.

Such conception is good with some 'global' data, such as UGENE plugins, script adapters, SITECON profiles or something else, but not with regular user documents.

UGENE team
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1