Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
New GUI proposal (Read 6160 times)
Mar 9th, 2015 at 8:15am

joseja   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Hello,
I am a happy and active user of UGENE. I am specially pleased by the Workflow editor. However, I find the GUI quite complex and not user-oriented.

I would like suggestiing you to modify the objects manager and embed it in the viewer window. My argument is that the objects only have sense in the context of the viewer and the actual configuration looks not right to me. If I have a sequence in the viewer and I click in another sequence I would expect it to replace to the previous in that viewer, and if I control+click I expect it to be append to that viewer.

I am attaching a image with my proposal change.
I think this change will resolve the following problems:
=A single click will open the object(s) in the viewer. A double click will open that single object without objects tree in a new window. It is the same behavior that Geneious. This allows to compare objects easily in to windows, and still only allows one window per project (so you dont need to worry to keep the tree of objects updated between the two windows of the same project).
=This will make the right-click menu of an object much simpler. You dont need the options to manage different views.
=When you are working in the Workflow manager the project window is always out of context. I know you can hide it but I have always the impresion  that I should be doing something with it.
=You can have the Workflow manager an the project with the objects open in parallel, which is quite useful.
=It makes transitions between objects quite quick (single click) and still allows to compare things with several windows.

I can see why you choose the actual interface, you dont need to worry to update the tree of objects in a window if you modify the objects in another window of the same project. However, I think this solution is superior.

Thanks for your consideration and time.
Cheers.

Slide1.jpg (137 KB | 619 )
Slide1.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2015 at 6:55pm

German   Offline

joseja, thank you for the post and your suggestions.

Actually, we are working on improving of the UGENE interface. We are planning UGENE 2.0 now and its interface will be much more handy and comfortable. We will consider your ideas about the interface during this work, I added the comment about this topic to the task.

By the way, some of your ideas are already included in the plan. For example, it is connection between Workflow Designer and project.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2015 at 9:17pm

Olga Golosova   Offline
YaBB Administrator

Hi joseja!

Thanks again for the idea! I've also created a separate issue for your feedback. See UGENE-4189.

Note that although the idea looks good for me, there are several questions for which we should find answers, if we choose the described approach:

1) Imagine a case when a user selects several sequence objects. He/she may want to open them in the Sequence View or in the Alignment Editor. So, it is not clear what to show in the preview in this case. Maybe we should allow switching between these views in this case.

2) What should be the behavior when we select several objects that are very different?.. For example, a sequence object and a phylogenetic tree object. What should be shown in the preview in this case.

3) I think we should also provide an easy way to open several objects in a new window (the one without the list of objects). In Geneious I was able to do it using the main menu only. Is there a standard hotkey to do it?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1