Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
UGENE Bulletin Board
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Selected Annotation Color in Circular Molecule Mode (Read 6490 times)
May 30th, 2012 at 5:45pm

R Smith   Offline
YaBB Newbies

In the circular molecule mode of the user interface, when an annotation is selected, the selected annotation is made bold in color black.

I believe the user's attention will be drawn to the selected annotation if instead it is made in another color.  As a default, a bright red (hex FF0000) might do.  But I recommend that the color be user-customizable, and that even the font family and style (and perhaps size within a limited range) also be customizable.

In the linear molecule mode, there might be a way to improve the highlighting scheme using color contrasting or something to draw the attention of the user to the selected region.  Dim gray coloring doesn't immediately grab the user's attention, particularly the novice.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 31st, 2012 at 4:58am

Konstantin Okonechnikov   Offline
Global Moderator

Quote:
In the circular molecule mode of the user interface, when an annotation is selected, the selected annotation is made bold in color black.

I believe the user's attention will be drawn to the selected annotation if instead it is made in another color.  As a default, a bright red (hex FF0000) might do.  But I recommend that the color be user-customizable, and that even the font family and style (and perhaps size within a limited range) also be customizable.

I will create corresponding issues in the bug-tracker, planned for the next release.  However, I am not sure if the bright red will be the best default color, looks too aggressive to me Smiley Anyway, when it is possible  to customize the color, user will be able to select the most suitable for him/her.

Quote:
In the linear molecule mode, there might be a way to improve the highlighting scheme using color contrasting or something to draw the attention of the user to the selected region.  Dim gray coloring doesn't immediately grab the user's attention, particularly the novice.

I am not sure if I get it right. In linear sequence view selections are drawn as frames in black color and with bold font, similar to circular.
Do you mean the dim gray color for selected annotations in the Annotations editor?

IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2012 at 2:53pm

R Smith   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Konstantin Okonechnikov wrote on May 31st, 2012 at 4:58am:
[quote]However, I am not sure if the bright red will be the best default color, looks too aggressive to me Smiley

Oh, I leave it to you to see what you think is the best default color.  I am quite sure you have excellent judgment, given the product you have developed.  Smiley

Certainly the coding required to make user-customizable interfaces will be more challenging.

Quote:
I am not sure if I get it right. In linear sequence view selections are drawn as frames in black color and with bold font, similar to circular.
Do you mean the dim gray color for selected annotations in the Annotations editor?

I have attached an image showing what I am talking about.  It is in the sequence overview panel or subwindow at the top.  The current interface shows light gray or silver-colored solid lines that delimit the selected annotation, along with the bp length and the delimiting nucleotide positions in light blue.  The interface also has the movable sequence detail position indicator, with dashed very light gray lines showing which part of the overall sequence is detailed.

I modified both of these.  I played around with a few styles of presentation and came up with what is imaged below.  For the movable sequence detail indicator, I thought a solid light gray rectangle with the width spanning the presented sequence detail.  For the elements (annotations, scale numbers, horizontal lines) with the sequence overiew, these elements should always be placed in front of the shaded rectangle.

As for the solid vertical lines highlighting the selected annotation, I went with a different color other than a silver-colored solid line.

It's just my opinion, but I think that light gray- and silver-colored thin lines against a white background doesn't provide eye-catching contrast for the user.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 31st, 2012 at 4:24pm

Agu   Offline
(Argentinian)

Hi.

The highlighting proposed for the circular view would work only when selecting a feature and not a region of several features or without features at all. What about changing the background of the dotted box as in the picture attached? The same for the Details view. I don't think that is needed for the zoom panel, at least I'm used to search the blue arrows (maybe thicker as in the picture).
BTW, every time I have to comment about a panel, I need to enable/disable them to identify the name.
I've created UGENE-1028 (https://ugene.unipro.ru/tracker/browse/UGENE-1028) with names easier to remember like:
Zoom view: linear view
Details view: sequence panel
Overview: Upper ruler

selection.png (72 KB | )
selection.png
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1