Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
UGENE Bulletin Board
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Please add ppa support to Ubuntu 12.04 ("Precise" series) (Read 15027 times)
May 12th, 2012 at 12:16am

Alvarenga   Offline
YaBB Newbies

I upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04 and tried to add the Ugene Ubuntu ppa in order to run the latest version of Ugene (the Ubuntu repositories still have 1.9.8) but I noticed that support for the latest Ubuntu is yet to be added.  

Right now I'm running an gene binary downloaded from the download webpage. I'm not sure why, but this makes it lack proper integration with the OS (e.g. there's no global menu and therefore no HUD).

So my request is to update the ppa for the latest version of both Ugene and Ubuntu. Thanks!

IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 17th, 2012 at 1:32pm

Agu   Offline
(Argentinian)

Hi, Alvarenga. There's no need to add the "ppa:iefremov/ppa".

Just make sure you have other sources enabled and you'll find Ugene in the software center. It's outdated but you get the integration you mentioned. Then you need to extract the newer version to the folder (/usr/lib64/ugene, for the 64 bits version) and that's all (you have to make it as root, so from terminal: 'gksu nautilus', then search and open the ugene compressed file and extract to /usr/lib64/ugene, unless you use the 32 bits, in which case I guess is lib32 or maybe just lib, not sure).

To enable other sources in ubuntu: search for the update manager, click Settings (bottom left) and then in other sources, check canonical partners (see screenshot attached).

ugene.png (171 KB | )
ugene.png
partners.png (45 KB | )
partners.png
IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 21st, 2012 at 8:49pm

Alvarenga   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Ok, I'll do that until the ppa gets updated. Thank you.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 25th, 2012 at 2:24am

Alvarenga   Offline
YaBB Newbies

I tried doing what you said, but I still don't get global menu for Ugene 1.10.4. See the attached picture where Nautilus is interacting with the global menu but Ugene retains a menu on its own window. Ugene 1.9.8 and other Qt applications are working fine on my computer. Could this be a bug?

Global_menu.png (47 KB | )
Global_menu.png
IP Logged

Reply #4 - May 28th, 2012 at 4:28pm

Agu   Offline
(Argentinian)

Sorry for that Alvarenga. I should have warned you that the only two examples you gave, wouldn't work. This is not a bug. We are replacing the original Ugene files made for Ubuntu with the updated ones for a generic linux. So, the things that are specific for Ubuntu (and here also specific for Unity) won't work. My post was a workaround in order to have the latest version installed, even though the ppa is not updated.

If you want to go back, uninstall Ugene from the Software center, then delete the files in /usr/lib64/ugene and reinstall Ugene.

Now, I also want to have Ugene in the HUD.

Please, update the ppa!

IP Logged

Reply #5 - May 29th, 2012 at 4:54pm

Olga Golosova   Offline
YaBB Administrator

We're going to update ppa this week, or (the latest) the next week. Sorry for the delay.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - May 30th, 2012 at 11:16pm

Agu   Offline
(Argentinian)

Now with version 1.11.0 UGENE is perfectly integrated and the HUD works (repeated the above method of installing 1.9.8 from software center and then extracting the updated linux version).

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 7:56pm

Alvarenga   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Thank you very much, Agu and Olga! Cheers!

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 2:13am

Alvarenga   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Hey, I really meant that, I wasn't being sarcastic! Believe me, Linux users can be that patient and grateful. Wink

I know it's hard to support so many different operating systems, so I do appreciate the efforts from the Ugene team very much. Thank you everyone involved in this great open source bioinformatics tool!

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 10:59am

German   Offline

Alvarenga, please don't worry. This "ha ha" is written by a spam-bot Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 1:22pm

Yuriy Vaskin   Offline
Global Moderator

German wrote on Sep 6th, 2012 at 10:59am:
Alvarenga, please don't worry. This "ha ha" is written by a spam-bot Smiley

The spam message has been deleted. Sorry

IP Logged