Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
UGENE Bulletin Board
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Drag and drop in alignment (manual alignment) (Read 8310 times)
Mar 9th, 2011 at 7:56am

jot2014   Offline
YaBB Newbies

First, thank you to everyone involved with this software. It is fantastic! I have a feature request for alignments. It would be great if one could set up manual alignments, where you can actually drag and drop individual bases, or whole sections of sequence. If you're familiar with Bioedit, it would basically be all of bioedits type features, meshed with ugene, so that you could import your results into the annotation editor. Thanks for your considerations

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 2:04pm

Konstantin Okonechnikov   Offline
Global Moderator

Thanks for your feedback!

We consider adding some capabilities of Bioedit to UGENE. The manual alignment of selected multple alignment region is a nice feature and will put it on our TODO list.

Quote:
If you're familiar with Bioedit, it would basically be all of bioedits type features, meshed with ugene, so that you could import your results into the annotation editor.

Could you please clarify this suggestion a little bit?

Do you want to be able to work with alignment region as an annotated sequence? We're planning to support annotations in Mulitple Alignment Editor in UGENE 2.x

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 9:21pm

jot2014   Offline
YaBB Newbies

It would be very cool if you could keep your annotations in the alignment editor. However, I do realize that once you start manually editing an alignment, the annotations would not really "signify" what they did before. Essentially, this is what I'm picturing... What if you have a sequence of a gene that you're working with, and you want to manually create your own set of primers with mutations, or maybe with your own restriction sites built into the ends. You can't really do this with just the primer 3 function. So, lets say one could use primer 3 to find very suitable primers for a certain region. Then, if you could have those primers existing as editable sequences within the sequence view, then you could add a few bases to the end of each primer, to be your restriction sites, and you could still have them lined up, and aligned visually, next to your main sequence. Or, you could take the primers which were given by primer 3, and change a single base for a mutation, and then you could see your new, edited primer next to (ie above or below) the main sequence, and you could see how it differs from the original sequence. I hope that I'm explaining this well. Thanks!!

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2011 at 8:43pm

Alvarenga   Offline
YaBB Newbies

One very useful feature from BioEdit that I miss in UGENE's alignment editor is the ability to identify missing data by adding interrogation points (?) in place of traces (-) where necessary. Without this, I need to trim the extremities of the alignment, and this causes loss of information. Is it possible that such a feature be implemented in UGENE?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1