Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
UGENE Bulletin Board
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Update and DNA Assemby (Read 14781 times)
Nov 4th, 2010 at 7:59am

Eitel   Offline
YaBB Newbies

bioinformatics gentlemen: I am new to using Ugene and I will make you a couple of questions: 1) I have the version 1.7.2 and have seen that there is at 1.8.0, how to upgrade?, 2) How do I make an assembly DNA that will allow more than the 3  mismatch that are by default? I work with sequences obtained by Sanger and I should do assemblies of about 400-600nt, and as is known, in an assembly of several readings is more than 3 mismatches!!!!. Consequently returns me an error saying:
[Tasks] [ERROR] Task} {DnaAssemblyMultiTask finished with error: DnaAssemblyToRefTask Subtask {} is failed: Bowtie TLS Task Subtask {} is failed: Reference assembly failed - not found possible alignment.
How do I make a DnaAssembly more "permissive".
I hope you could answer.

regards
Eitel

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 3:29pm

Agu   Offline
(Argentinian)

Eitel:
I think that currently that's not possible.  Your only choice with UGENE now is to manually assemble with the option "lock scales" (not funny if you have more than two readings...).

UGENE team:
I join to the request. With that feature I would be able to move almost completely to UGENE. Are you planning in implementing algorithms like CAP3 or phrap? Maybe it is possible to adapt UGENE's assembly tool (I have no idea).

Thanks

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 6:37pm

Mikhail Fursov   Offline
YaBB Administrator

Folks, there a lot of holidays in Russia and this week is one such weeks Smiley
This means that the major part of UGENE team is far from internet and will be able to response only Nov-8 or latter

I could answer the questions, but not completely

1) Yes. Assembling  & cloning is 1 priority for us for the nearest future. It means that we plan to
a. improve bowtie support,
b. optimize our own algorithm (why not to beat bowtie in? we have ambitions Smiley )
c. We plan to add a special viewer to visualize assembly in UGENE. Now simple alignment viewer is used that is optimized to handle with (M)egs of data. But... assembly uses (G) prefix... so we will start new viewer development in 2-3 week.

2) As for BOWTIE question and 3 mismatches limit - lets wait for an expert who integrated it.

---
UGENE team
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 3:07am

Konstantin Okonechnikov   Offline
Global Moderator

Quote:
I have the version 1.7.2 and have seen that there is at 1.8.0, how to upgrade?

It's pretty simple: download the new version and install it. You can remove old version beforehand, but this is optional.

Quote:
How do I make an assembly DNA that will allow more than the 3  mismatch that are by default?

Actually Bowtie aligner is far more permissive then UGENE Genome Aligner. The -n mode (used by default) allows to set the number of mismatches in the so called "seed". According to Bowtie documentation in the -n mode the mismatches outside the seed are not taken into account while aligning. The seed is located at the left (high-quality) end of the read.  The size of the seed is rather small (by default it is 28). You can make Bowtie even more permissive by decreasing the seedlen value.

Quote:
UGENE team:
I join to the request. With that feature I would be able to move almost completely to UGENE. Are you planning in implementing algorithms like CAP3 or phrap? Maybe it is possible to adapt UGENE's assembly tool (I have no idea).

As Mikhail mentioned we are planning to improve significantly DNA assembly functionality in UGENE. We will surely consider Pharp and CAP3 as candidates for including.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 1:54am

Eitel   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Konstantin Okonechnikov wrote on Nov 6th, 2010 at 3:07am:
Quote:
I have the version 1.7.2 and have seen that there is at 1.8.0, how to upgrade?

It's pretty simple: download the new version and install it. You can remove old version beforehand, but this is optional.

Quote:
How do I make an assembly DNA that will allow more than the 3  mismatch that are by default?

Actually Bowtie aligner is far more permissive then UGENE Genome Aligner. The -n mode (used by default) allows to set the number of mismatches in the so called "seed". According to Bowtie documentation in the -n mode the mismatches outside the seed are not taken into account while aligning. The seed is located at the left (high-quality) end of the read.  The size of the seed is rather small (by default it is 28). You can make Bowtie even more permissive by decreasing the seedlen value.

Quote:
UGENE team:

As Mikhail mentioned we are planning to improve significantly DNA assembly functionality in UGENE. We will surely consider Pharp and CAP3 as candidates for including.

when I try to make Bowtie aligner with -n mode = 3, as suggested, and add 10 sequences in fasta UGENE suddenly closes!!! Any idea what could be the problem?
Thanks
Eitel

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 1:55am

Eitel   Offline
YaBB Newbies

when I try to make Bowtie aligner with -n mode = 3, as suggested, and add 10 sequences in fasta UGENE suddenly closes!!! Any idea what could be the problem?
Thanks
Eitel

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 2:50pm

Konstantin Okonechnikov   Offline
Global Moderator

Eitel, it looks like some nasty bug. More details are required to figure out the problem.

What UGENE version do you use? What is your operating system?

Did you use prebuilt index? Were the shortread sequences in separate files or in a single FASTA? What other Bowtie options did you use?

It would be great, if you could provide us with your data, so we can test it.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 7:14pm

Eitel   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Konstantin

What UGENE version do you use?

What is your operating system?
Ubuntu 10.04

Did you use prebuilt index?
No idea what it is!!

Were the shortread sequences in separate files or in a single FASTA?
shortread sequences in separate files
What other Bowtie options did you use?
only that I mention

Regards
Eitel

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 8:12pm

Eitel   Offline
YaBB Newbies

I have found another issue that causes UGENE to close unexpectedly and this is when I try to open more than 5 ABI files! it start to open a couple an then.... close!
It's not a memory problem because I have a lot (32Gb).
Thanks for your time

Eitel

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 6:54pm

Mikhail Fursov   Offline
YaBB Administrator

Eitel wrote on Nov 23rd, 2010 at 8:12pm:
I have found another issue that causes UGENE to close unexpectedly and this is when I try to open more than 5 ABI files! it start to open a couple an then.... close!
It's not a memory problem because I have a lot (32Gb).
Thanks for your time

Eitel

I can't reproduce this bug with ABI files I have.
Could you share the files that causes the crash?

You can use email address (ugene@unipro.ru) if you want to send them privately.

---
UGENE team
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1